What is funded by the Physical Plant Department?

The Physical Plant Department receives an annual budget that provides for routine day-to-day building and grounds maintenance, operations and utilities to university facilities that are supported by education and general funds.

What do departments pay for?

Department-initiated renovations, department-related equipment repairs, office furniture repairs and special or extra (beyond basic day-to-day) services are the responsibility of the requesting department to fund.

Types of charges

For work performed by Physical Plant or FMD employees, the requesting department will be charged a labor rate and will be billed the actual cost of any materials or supplies used to perform the work. If contracted PPD services are used, the department is charged a labor rate for PPD personnel and a percentage of the contract dollar value,depending on the scope of the work and/or the requirements for PPD involvement (i.e., scope development and confirmation, equipment selection, review of bids, contractor submittals, final inspection and commissioning, proposal review, invoice management and, for the common contract administration, oversight as required by Virginia procurement regulations and VCU’s Purchasing Department). For simple use of a PPD contract, the fee is 5 percent of the contract dollar value. If any additional PPD services described above are desired, the fee is 8 percent of the contract dollar value.

PPD labor rates

Rates are usually calculated in June, when the new overhead rates and salary increases are known for the upcoming fiscal year. The rates are then published on the FMD website.

How will departments be billed?

Each department submits work orders though QuikFM, and are assigned a unique work order number for cost-accounting purposes. Charges are billed to departments bimonthly through the university’s financial reporting system. QuikFM also has reporting capability available for customer use.

If the service is approved by the individual department, permission to charge the department’s budget account will be requested.

Specific questions concerning billing should be directed to Facilities Management's Financial Services Department at (804) 828-2158.

Request for service may be initiated by:
Phone: (804) 828-9444
Fax: (804) 828-8516 
Web: Click here for QuikFM

Self Help

Departments may opt to save costs by performing project labor with their own office staff or students. The most common type of self-help project is interior cosmetic painting. Physical Plant supports the cost-saving effort of self-help projects. Physical Plant will provide all materials, tools, general oversight and inspection.

Contact the campus coordinators to arrange this sharing of work to meet department needs and time schedules:

Contact campus coordinators

Monroe Park campus coordinator MCV campus coordinator
Margaret Kelland Dick Kraines
(804) 828-7269 (phone) (804) 828-7248 (phone)
(804) 828-4954 (fax) (804) 827-4221 (fax)
VCU Facilities Management Virginia Commonwealth University